[olug] dynamic routing for small business

Eric Penne epenne at olug.org
Fri Jul 25 16:33:54 UTC 2003

I was curious about what dynamic routing was.  I did a little googling and
found out what some of the acronyms I had seen in the past couple of years
meant.

What I never did find is when is it useful.  I know it is useful for large
companies with lots of sites and network connections and stuff but what
about small single connection places?  Is it useful to build a router with
dynamic routing if you just have a single t1?  Does dynamic routing help
you and others to determine the best path for packets?  Will running a
router with dynamic routing help anybody else if you don't actively
participate?  These are quite being worded the way I want them to.

Ok here it goes again.  I assume to use dynamic routing effectively you
have to collaborate with other routers to find the best path.  If I were
to just set up a router on my t1 without actively collaborating with my
isp or next step up the chain, would it help anything?

Eric