[olug] Promise FastTrak 100

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Wed Jul 23 15:39:00 UTC 2003

I wouldn't run RAID5 on anything.  But then, I'm not a fan of the
performance penalty.

Software raid is really minimal overhead.  I use software raid-10
(technically raid-0 array made of raid-1 arrays) on linux for production
servers and haven't encountered any overhead worth noticing.  Keep in
mind I do this on disk I/O or network I/O limited applications.  If you
have a CPU-limited application then you might want to think twice.

Nick Walter