[olug] Mozilla and Windoz

Irv Cobb irvcobb at huntel.net
Tue Jul 22 16:33:51 UTC 2003

Craig Wolf wrote:

>Just a question to ponder....
>I, myself as well as some customers of mine are running Mozilla for
>email/Web access and I have started to see issues with something.  How
>do you backup AND restore that backed-up info to be used again?  Copying
>off the Mozilla directory in the Application Data directory and then
>putting that directory in the same place on another Windoz machine does
>not work.  Or for that matter, restoring from backup after a fatal crash
>of the system.
>
>Any help greatly appreciated!

You need to dig deeper into the Mozilla directory:

c:\windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\

holds the files in question on this Win98 machine. I've been able to
copy these directories and files back and forth (even to Linux)
successfully. With multiple accounts, you'll just have to keep track of
the randonly-named *.slt directories.

Irv

Note: some of the folders in this directory hold stuff that does not
migrate happily to Linux and vice versa. But the Mail and News
directories, the address book files (*.mab) and the bookmarks move
arounf fine.