[olug] small Cisco boxes for hacking

neal r neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Mon Jul 14 21:35:14 UTC 2003

   A few weeks ago I picked up a Compaq Deskpro with a P166, 80 meg of
ram, a 1.2 gig disk, Creative 24x CD rom, and two 3com ethernet cards
for a whopping $45. I really like this model - when the 166 came out
they got the swoopy plastic face (ick) but they gained the ability to
boot from CD rom (way cool).

  The source of this marvel was Electronic Recyclers at 1919 North 11th
street. They're around during the day but they don't have 100% coverage.
I've never counted but they must have 1,000+ used PCs in that place at
any given time. The laptops and high end desktops get picked over pretty
quickly, but if all you want is little CD bootable boxes for play they
can fix you up pretty easily.

  If you go looking its hard to find - dinky sign on a huge multitenant
warehouse, no sign at all on the door ... I didn't say treasure hunting
would be easy, did I? :-)