[olug] IDE Hardware RAID

Mike Peterson mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com
Tue Jul 8 20:03:31 UTC 2003

I have a new system with built-in Promise RAID.

Mandrake 9.1 does not have drivers for Promise 20267 built-in IDE RAID.

Slackware 9 installs great but sees each drive separately and not as one mirror drive.

Redhat 9 installs great but sees each drive separately and not as one mirror drive.

FreeBSD 5.1 sees the drives but will not install.

Windows XP Pro works great and sees the mirror.

Knoppix 3.2 June release sees the drives as separate and not mirrored.

I plan to run Redhat Enterprise ES 2.1 on the system.
The system CD claims to have the drivers.

I will post an update once I get it working.

I thought about putting a 3ware card in the system.
As per the 3ware site they only support up to Redhat 8 at present.

I have had good luck with ARCO IDE RAID.
But the last card I got which was version 2 was slower than version 1.
The version 1 would only support 30 GB drives max.
That is what I have it running with.

The version 2 card will support at least 40 GB drives that I have it running on.

Has anyone worked with any other IDE Hardware RAID?