[olug] ham radio operators can use 802.11b

Daniel G. Linder dlinder at iprevolution.com
Fri Jan 31 17:09:43 UTC 2003

Neal wrote:
>   I just noticed this - ham operators can now use 802.11b as an
> operating mode.
> http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/01/10/3/?nc=1
>
> Who wants to play?

So, can someone give us "bit-pushing geeks" a breakdown of how the "ARRL 802.11b" spec differs from the more main-stream 802.11b wireless access points that we in the data networking field are familiar with?  Is the ARRL doing nothing more than making the "Coffee Can" antennas official or is there more?  I would love to setup my own 11Mb link between work and home (about 6 miles, no line of sight) so I could lament that the 11Mb wireless link was the bottleneck in my Internet surfing... :)

Dan