[olug] VIM Question

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Mon Jan 27 03:57:49 UTC 2003

At Sun, 26 Jan 03, Unidentified Flying Banana CM Miller, said:
> When I want to check to see if the brackets on code
> are complete, I use Shift + %.  When using OLUG shell,
> it is automatically done for me.
>
> How is this done, under .exrc?  I imagine this is a
> global variable, correct?  Like the aliases set up for
> the accounts?

I'm not completely positive this is what you're talking about, and
looking for, but I think you want the option "showmatch".  This will
cause it to flash to the opening brace/bracket/paren when you type the
closing one, showing you where it's "matching" brace is.

You can turn it on in the editor by typing ":set showmatch", or you can
add "set showmatch" to your .vimrc or your .exrc so it will always be
enabled.