[olug] SCCO

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Sat Jan 25 21:20:41 UTC 2003

I'm not worrying too much about this issue myself.  Remember, Unix is old.
I'm sure most if not all of the patents are now expired.  The only remaining
danger would be copyrights, and it's harder to nuke a computer program on a
copyright issue unless you can prove somebody lifted source code outright.

SCO is playing a dangerous game because IBM is a big linux company, and IBM
has the capability to use their massive patent portfolio and army of lawyers
like a tactical nuclear weapon in the computer world.  I would be shocked if
IBM couldn't find some part of SCO software (Unixware/OpenUnix/Whatever they
call it this week) that doesn't infringe an IBM patent.  And then they can
tell SCO to sit down and shut up unless they want some expensive and lengthy
patent lawsuits.

Nick Walter