[olug] Re: Email forwarding - is OLUG better than Google?

[email protected] Don.Doumakes at debs.pinko.net
Thu Jan 23 17:14:50 UTC 2003

On 2003.01.23 10:22 Matt Payne wrote:
> I'm looking to build an email forwarding service with free
> software....
>
> End users signup on a webpage to have TheirName at BetterBrains.com be
> forwarded to
> theirRealEmail at whatever.com.   The end user never has a shell account.

The simple way is to use sendmail aliases.  All the mappings from
betterbrains.com addresses to real addresses would be in a flat text
file.  That approach probably wouldn't scale well.

Sendmail 8.12+ can do LDAP lookups (see
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/ref-guide/s1-sendmail-ldap.html).
I've been planning to experiment with this but need to upgrade my
system first.  I also understand exim can do LDAP routing.

--
Don Doumakes