[olug] Wanted: Intel Hardware Server recomendations

andrew olug at einer.org
Thu Jan 23 18:00:31 UTC 2003

Well, I'll share with everyone the system that I was thinking of
building.  It's a bit over budget, but it may be worth it to you.

As far as pricewatch goes, I would recommend filtering all vendors
through resellerratings.com to make sure that they're reputable.  I've
never been burned, but I've heard stories.

I was looking at an nForce2 mobo (the bare bones model).  The purported
benefit of this motherboard is that the memory bus matches the FSB speed
and each dimm slot has it's own address line.  This is supposed to
increase the memory bandwidth and thusly overall speed.  I could just be
another victim of really good advertising though, so buyer beware.  :)

newegg.com (a reputable online reseller) has prices listed as follows:

275.00 for the xp 2600 (the one that uses the faster bus)
92.00 for the mobo
30.00 for a cheapo case and ps.

so at 397.00 without ram.  So another 130 for 2 sticks of
pc2700 at 256MBfor 512MB total.

Or, (too comply with your budget)

$69 (biostar board)
$69 (xp 1800)
$30 for the case
$130 for the memory

$300.00 plus shipping (20 at most).

I like AMD chips because they're cheap.  I don't know if they're better
or worse than the intel alternatives, but I know they're not as
expensive and I guess their PR ratings are pretty close.

Walmart also sells cheapo pc's, but I don't recognize some of the
components they put in (which makes me nervous to plunk down 199 and
change).

my 2 bits.

Andrew
andrew at einer.org