[olug] Wanted: Intel Hardware Server recomendations

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Jan 24 06:46:22 UTC 2003

Eric Penne said:
> So what exactly do you need?
>
> Case
> Mobo
> Processor
> Memory
> CD-RW
> NIC
> Video Card
> Floppy?
>
> With a budget of $400.
>
> Looks like you could go with a P4 setup.  Mobo w/built in video and NIC.
>  Lots of high bandwidth memory.  Maybe some software RAID for improving
> disk performance.
>
> What else do you need on the machine (hardware)?

I recently bought a "bare bones" box from DIT (which many saw at the
installfest).  It had a P4 1.8GhZ Celeron processor, with a MB that
included video, USB, sound, IDE/floppy controllers and 10/100 ethernet.
It also had 256 MB of RAM.  Basically everything but monitor, keyboard,
mouse and drives (HD/CD/DVD/floppy/whatever you need).  Final price tag
was a surprising (to me) ~$300 (just a little less, after taxes).  I've
been happy with it so far.

William E. Kempf
wekempf at cox.net