[olug] Fw: FreeBSD 5.0 Release Available

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Tue Jan 21 05:18:45 UTC 2003

Ok, I'm not a freebsd nut. (I got burned during the 2.x -> 3.x change,
moved to debian, and never looked back.) But I do know a bit about it,
lemme see if I can comment. I'm pretty os/platform agnostic these days,
I'm typing this in my bedroom on an os x (ppc, bsd) powerbook while my
car stereo (arm, linux) syncs my mp3 collection on my desktop/server
(intel, linux) in my office which also runs vmware for win2k.

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 09:25 PM, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Where's the firewire (aka IEEE 1934) support?

http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3295
"FireWire drivers merged into FreeBSD-stable"

> Where's the TokenRing support

http://www.jurai.net/~winter/tr/tr.html
"The FreeBSD Token Ring Project"

> Where's the USB2.0 support?

I think you can mostly use a USB 2.0 device like it's a USB 1.1 device
for now. I know work is being done for 2.0, but I don't think it made
it into 5.x yet. Google more than I did, you'll find something.

> Where's the journalling filesystem(s)?

Soft updates, an alternative to journaling
http://www.mckusick.com/softdep/

> Where's the software RAID mechanism that doesn't crash the system?

Yahoo thought it was stable years ago... But who are they to say
something like that?
http://www.ictp.trieste.it/~cfonda/sudan/OSs/references/freeBSD/
Yahoo_and_FreeBSD.html

> Where's the software RAID mechanism that doesn't have sucky
> performance?

I've heard freebsd is raid pretty zippy, I know a lot of 'network
appliance' or 'filer' vendors use freebsd. Vinum looks neat
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-
vinum.html

> Where's the "advanced routing" capabilities? (aka routing any IP
>    datagram to arbitrary gateways based on host, port number, and/or
>    layer 3 protocol)

I hear ipfw is pretty good. There are some links at the end of this
article.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/04/25/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=3

> I want my apt-get dammit!

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
It's good enough Gentoo uses a similar system, and debian geeks seem to
be jumping to gentoo.

-- Daniel