[olug] Fw: FreeBSD 5.0 Release Available

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Mon Jan 20 23:29:59 UTC 2003

>   I've had 5.0rc1 running on a workstation for some time ... no
> complaints. I think the actual release was rc3, so its had much bug
> fixing since the version I've got working, which has been trouble free.
>
>   There are some who are more conservative - I am pretty sure
> 4.8-RELEASE will be out within the next thirty days.

I'll say.  Just now introducing the FreeBSD equivalent of ext2 sparse
superblocks into a "stable" release (x.0 releases of any piece of software
are really just extremely late betas, after all :) makes me want to leave
the playing with 5.0 stuff to braver people.  Or at least to
non-production systems :)

>   Is anyone besides me using BSD? Chris Garrity, apparently Brian, too -
> any others willing to come out of the closet?

I install it once in a while.  Found a FreeBSD 3.4 CD i never used a
couple days ago :)

I'm still in awe at people who think that taking 20 minutes to install
bash - download and compile bash-2.05b.tar.gz, along with the dependencies
- is so great.

The ports collection (and the NetBSD and OpenBSD equivalents) is nice and
all when you're trying to get stuff compiled, but it needs to friggin'
learn how to deal with binary packages so that I can build packages on the
fast boxes and install them on the slower boxes without going through
RedHat-style RPM hell trying to get all the dependencies met.

That's my rant for today after watching stuff compile on a 250MHz Cyrix
MII last night after I *knew* I had already built it on a faster machine.
It's slower than the clock speed would suggest :)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us