[olug] Re: ADVs via the olug.org mailing list?

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 20:01:06 UTC 2003

I didn't like the direct plug for Reboot the User.  I think obvious
links to the company in the signature of the sender are fine.  In this
case it didn't bother me as much because he did give useful info
beforehand (which got snipped), not just an advertisement.

I'm stuck though on how to reword what he said.  In my head there are
many different ways of saying that without sounding like advertising,
or at least sounding like "just another person" that uses this product.

In the signature: RebootTheUser has Zoom Inet Gateways.

or:

<disclaimer store owner>
We have Zoom 4160 Inet Gateways that seem to work really well.  Come on
down and I can show you how to set it up.
</disclaimer>

or some variation on that.

This isn't an attack on Jay in any way.  I just want to make sure we
lay down some rules for this kind of thing.  I've only been on the list
for a few years but I don't remember running into this before.

We could ban it altogether but other companies get props on the list
from customers so banning it seems wrong.  Jay's just trying to get his
name out there, and being linux friendly helps.

My pennes worth.
Eric