[olug] PHP Safe Mode Restrictions

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 16 15:29:47 UTC 2003

I'm having trouble getting PHPix to display properly.  The problem is
with the PHP Safe Mode settings.  If you are running a graphical
browser you can see the errors at

http://www.thepennes.net/phpix/?mode=album&album=EricandJillPenne%2FMisc

which will probably get truncated.

My errors are:
Warning: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 33 is
not allowed to access /var owned by uid 0 in
/var/www/thepennes.net/phpix/functions.inc on line 246

Here is the relevent section of php.ini

; Safe Mode
;
safe_mode = On

safe_mode_gid = Off

safe_mode_include_dir = /

safe_mode_exec_dir = /var/www/

;open_basedir =

PHPix wants to convert the images to thumbs and save them in a diff
directory.  I don't want to put 777 permissions and have the group for
/var and /var/www be UID 33.  Unless I have to.

On a side note: I probably need to allow the script to access /usr/bin
for executing convert.

Would I be safe just changing /var/www to have group UID 33 then change
safe_mod_gid = On and only have it check for GID instead?

Another question.  If /var is 755 owner root group root and
/var/www/test-directory is 755 owner bob group bob, is bob allowed to
write to the test-directory?

Eric