[olug] Network

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Jan 16 00:15:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:14:38 -0600
Nate <tbrownarcher at cox.net> wrote:

|I have a 2 computer network  (486 pakard bell and a DIT machine with an
|amd 300 mhz chip)
|In windows I have the network working but I want to use that linux
|Mandrake side of the AMD machine to
|network too.  I'm using an ethernet card to access the internet through
|a cable modem and also an ethernet
|card with a crossover cable to form the network between the 2 computers.

|Can someone tell me where to find some useful info to do this, or help
|me out in some way?
|I have been looking on the internet for documentation but sifting
|through it seems impossible.
|thanks,
|Nate

Given your network works in GNU/Linux, it's simply a matter of configuring
the networking on the GNU/Linux box and adding the gateway.  Does the 486
with Windows have the ethernet cable connected to the cable modem... or is
it the 300mhz system win/linux system?

Record your network settings in Windows (IP address, netmask, gateway) and
then just transfer those configurations into the GNU/Linux side.

                     coxIPaddy | 192.168.100.1    192.168.100.123

check/config your settings with the "ifconfig" and "route" commands.
( use your own ipaddress settings here )
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.100.123 netmask 255.255.255.0
# route add default gw 192.168.100.1

I think you can statically assign this is redhat/mandrake's /etc/sysconfig
folder somewhere.

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart