[olug] mysqldump issue

Adam Haeder adamh at omaha.org
Wed Jan 15 20:05:31 UTC 2003

Hello all
First, thanks to everyone for making it out to the installfest on Sat. It
was a huge success. Early estimates figure that we had at least 100 people
come through that day. Everyone I talked to had a good time and most
people left happy. I'll post more info another time, including info on the
next meeting.

Meanwhile, back to work. For testing purposes, one of my developers has
suggested we try out a postgresql instance to compare it to our existing
mysql setup. I have agreed, and I've got postgresql installed on a box. I
need to copy the mysql data over to postgresql. There are a number of
tools that help you do this, and I have a perl script called 'mysql2pgsql'
from postgresql.org that takes a dump from 'mysqldump' and converts it to
a format I can then import into postgresql. So far so good.

My problem is in creating the dump file. One table in my database
currently has about 145,000 rows, and mysqldump runs for a while and then
barfs with:

mysqldump: Got error: 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
when retrieving data from server

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this? I tried adding the following
to my /etc/my.cnf file:

[mysqldump]
set-variable = max_allowed_packet=16M

to no avail. Any ideas welcome.