[olug] frustration: first Slackware, now Gentoo

neal r neallist at wispair.net
Wed Jan 15 13:48:14 UTC 2003

 ;-) You're right about the lack of patience.

   This is *so* simple with any of the BSD derivatives - stick CD in, turn
machine on, follow installation procedure. The Slack 8.1 install starts off
with a BSD like bang, but ends up sniveling in the corner in a Gollum like self
debate on the merits of fsck - I've tried it on multiple systems and I'm pretty
sure its a Slackware bug, rather than a wetware bug on my part.

   Adding injury to insult, we've got a horrible static problem in our office -
it ate a Cisco 1605 yesterday and I used my experimental MikroTik (cd bootable)
box to replace it, then I lost the one other machine I have free that'll boot
from CD.

  I'm going to continue my patience calisthenics for a little while longer
before I cry uncle ... but I may take you up on the offer next week.