[olug] anonymizer

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Mon Jan 13 21:00:37 UTC 2003

Might want to consider the risk factor before circumventing controls on
your net access at work.

When I used to sysadmin, I restricted net access to users on several
occasions.  Most of the time, it was because a manager had another
retarded idea about improving productivity or whatnot.  Those
restrictions I did not go out of my way to enforce. A few times the
restrictions were my own idea, when I was sick of people downloading the
virus-of-the-week-from-hotmail or whatever.  Those restrictions I did
enforce, cutting people off from various proxies as I discovered them.

Feel out the sysadmins before you start using a proxy to surf at work.
If the restrictions are a management decree that the sysadmins privately
think is silly, then you can probably get away with a proxy.  If the
sysadmins really believe in the restrictions, then they can and probably
will discover your proxy connection and cut it off.  And possibly report
your naughty behavior to your supervisor.

Nick Walter