discuss: Production use distribution? ---Re: [olug] Linux sysadmin position

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Mon Jan 13 05:23:50 UTC 2003

Brian,
[...snip...]
> When you/they say support, do they mean it "only works on (coded for)
> Redhat" or they "only test it on Redhat"?  I'm just wondering how a
> program designed for GNU/Linux would work on one distribution and not
> another?  (hard coded to use specific Redhat programs? paths?)
>
> I'd really like to find out/address the point (if it exists) that perhaps
> not all distros are alike?  They cannot all be customized to work exactly
> the same (after removing all the fluff)?

You should check out LSB http://www.linuxbase.org/
" Mission Statement
The goal of the LSB is to develop and promote a set of standards that will
increase compatibility among Linux distributions and enable software
applications to run on any compliant Linux system. In addition, the LSB will
help coordinate efforts to recruit software vendors to port and write
products for Linux. "

The primary problem with RH is their use of directories as compared to other
dists.  Not always a problem but many times it is. As for apps that offer
commercial support, if you are going to target a market you go after the low
hanging fruit first. i.e. Biggest installed base in your target audience.
This keeps support costs down.  If LSB succeeds, then many of these types of
headaches will be a part of history. Note: I said many not all.