discuss: Production use distribution? ---Re: [olug] Linux sysadmin position

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Sun Jan 12 23:44:19 UTC 2003

When we began phasing out Unixware (yuck) and going to Linux for production
systems where I work, there was only one distro choice, Red Hat.  Not
because it's a corporate distro or support contracts are available, but
simply because the vendor support was there.  Oracle was saying use Red Hat
if you want our db, telephony vendors were telling us use Red Hat if you
want supported linux device drivers, etc.

We'd have used Billy Joe's HomeBrew Linux for l33t h4xx0rs if that's what
they'd told us would have been supported.  I think you'll find a lot of
people saying the same thing.  While other Linux distros have various
advantages over Red Hat, application and hardware support are *far* more
important to businesses that a nicer installer or package manager or
whatnot.  Even if Red Hat lags a little behind other distros in some areas,
it's still a trillion times easier to maintain a bunch of RH servers vs a
bunch of crash happy NT/2000 servers.

Nick Walter