[olug] Network Card Problems

Mike Peterson mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com
Fri Jan 10 23:40:05 UTC 2003

The problem is at a college classroom where I teach hands-on System
Administration like the labs at AIM.

The NIC cards are SIS7016.
The driver used for these cards on Linux is sis900.
Redhat 8.0 has a sis900-old also.
Neither one works.

The cards are seen but an IRQ cannot be resolved.
The 10-25% is that out of 21 machines 4-5 will work with the NIC card during
2 boots and then after that they no longer see the card again.

The systems have removable drives so that several courses can be taught with
different drives and different OS's.
Each class installs their own Network Operating System.
Win2k Server Linux, WinNT Server, Novell, etc.

The current solution is to remove the SIS cards are replace them with 8029
cards.
This should be completed by Monday PM.

I had planned to use Network Installs of Redhat 8.0.
Hopefully once the NIC card issue is resolved this will work.

Then I will have my own mini Installfest next week.
Once every spring class.
Some people mess up their drives and we have to install again however.

Everyone at the Installfest have fun.

Maybe someday I can find time to go to one.

I look forward to the February meeting if there is one.