[olug] InstallFest tomorrow!

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Jan 10 20:43:43 UTC 2003

> From: Eric Penne <epenne at yahoo.com>
>
> You ask somebody with more experience than you to help.  If they don't
> know the answer they ask someone with more experience than them until
> somebody knows how to do it.
>
> Backing up a system and installing a fresh distro and putting the
> backup  back on your PC is good for an installfest.  We can sure help
> with that.  Now sometimes though, we like a little given back to the
> community.  In this case I reccommend that you bring a pen and paper
> and write down what we do.  For example, which directories and/or files
> to backup and why.
>
> Then I suggest that you go home and use your favorite linux word
> processor (anything from "echo >> file.txt" to OpenOffice) and type up
> the files/directories backed up and why and send it to the list or to
> Brian for posting on Olug.org.  This will help others that are in the
> same situation as you.
>
> Bring that PC down tomorrow, we'll help ya.  You don't have to write
> everything down but even these little things can help others get
> involved with OpenSource software.

Thanks a lot.  I'll head to DIT tonight and get the new machine then.

Just a side comment... I know why you are pushing for "contributing back the community", but I did find the comments at least a little offensive, because I'm already heavily involved in the OpenSource community, and contribute a LOT of help on various subjects in the online "communities".  I guess a little better delivery would have helped, and in any event it's a minor complaint, but I just thought I'd drop my .02 cents.

William E. Kempf
wekempf at cox.net