[olug] Networking and NIC issues. Coaching

Don Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Fri Jan 10 22:12:21 UTC 2003

I'll be bringing my RH 7.2 Linux box with some networking issues to the
Installfest. I'd like some coaching on resolving the issues. Basically
it has two Realtec NICs and a built in Thunderbird LAN (TLAN) NIC.  I
had been using the TLAN as eth0 and one of the realtec NIC's as eth1. It
worked fine until a couple of months ago when the TLAN no longer worked
. I removed that as a module option from the kernel and went with
another Realtec NIC as eth0. This worked well for a couple of months

What happened lately  is that it again seems to recognize the TLAN and
wants to assign it as eth0. (I get this information from dmesg | grep
eth0.) Since I removed that as an option from the kernel and point to
the one of the RTL NICS that kinda screws everything up. By now You are
wondering  (probably) "why doesn't  he just recompile the kernel with
the TLAN as an Option. and see if that works?" Two reasons: 1> the TLAN
went out before and I'm not likely to want to trust it again. 2> I'm a
little lazy and I'd like verification that recompiling is indeed what I
need to do!

When I do ifconfig -a the odd thing is that it brings up all the
networking devices but two of them have the same MAC address. I am
CONFUSED BY THIS! (Shouting Intentional but not directed at anyone ;-) )
. I'm hoping someone will be able to coach me through a troubleshooting
 and repair.

--
Don Kauffman
Email: mailto:dkauffman at tconl.com