[olug] Network Card Problems

Michael Peterson mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com
Fri Jan 10 20:30:32 UTC 2003

Has anyone had luck finding a reliable driver for SIS 7016 network cards?

I have tried Redhat 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0 and pre 8.1 beta.

7.2 works 10-25% of the time if you are lucky.

I teach System Administration.

I use Redhat because it is the major business supported distribution in
the U.S.
I cannot download iso images for SUSE full blown or I would look to using
that.
I have the iso's and CD's for United Linux but it is not working great in
tests I have run with it either.
Mandrake 9.0 and 8.2 have not worked out good either.

I would try FreeBSD, but I would like to stick with Linux because that is
what the current book I have chosen covers exclusively.
I wanted to do network installs via http from my own deployment server but
the boot diskettes do not contain a driver that works either.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am pulling my hair out and not getting any sleep either.

The class starts next week and this is only my part-time work that is
taking up much of my time.
Sorry if this is to much info or just the same old for some of you.