[olug] smbmount and fstab

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Jan 8 00:50:03 UTC 2003

i haven't tried it yet.. but i'm working with samba currently also.  i
believe that the process of mounting a drive/fs and such is a priviledged
operation, and so only root can do it.  i believe you can set one of the
programs (smbmount?) as setuid root and then users can mount, with root
priviledges... short of giving them sudo rights.

# chmod +s /usr/bin/smbmount

But you'd be using "mount" instead no?  I wonder if that has to be setuid
as well?

I've done some basic samba stuff before, but its been awhile (6-9 months?
heck) and I think I've forgotten most things and don't have my network
setup as i did... so I'm tryn to catch up a lot on this SMB/CIFS stuff.

Eric, have you any experience with a Samba PDC before? or anyone else?
How well does a linux samba domain controller work with an nt4 one?
I think I've read that nt4 will not work as a BDC to a samba PDC, but that
a samba BDC will work with a nt4 PDC... is this correct?

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated... migrating nt4 pdc to a samba
one.

peace
Brian

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:49:33 -0600
Andrew Holm-Hansen <olug at einer.org> wrote:

|I vaguely remember reading about a similar problem.  Won't smbmount (by
|default)  only run for uid=root?  Another thing to check is your
|smb.conf ... You can explicitely state which users have 'root'
|privelages on the share with the
|
|admin users = user1, user2, user3
|
|directive.
|
|I think I solved this problem and forgot the solution because mine just
|works... ;(  Sorry.
|
|Andrew
|
|Eric Penne wrote:
|
|>I've partly figured out how to mount it as root and give the user
|>permissions to write.
|>
|>smbmount //nt_le/ericp$ /directory -o credentials=file,uid=epenne
|>
|>I added the uid=epenne before but there was a space instead of a comma
|>and smbmount just ignored the uid flag.
|>
|>I still am not allowed to mount the drive without having root
|>privileges.  Can anybody help?
|>
|>Eric
|>

|>--- Eric Penne <epenne at yahoo.com> wrote:
|>

|>>I'm having troubles mounting a device on an NT4 server and allowing
|>>the
|>>user (not root) to modify the filesystem.
|>>
|>>I want the user to be able to mount the filesystem when they login.
|>>I have to send a username and password to the NT server.
|>>I want the user to be able to modify and create files on the mount.
|>>
|>>I've added:
|>>
|>>//nt_le/ericp$ /home/epenne/fileserver/ericp smbfs
|>>defaults,noauto,user,owner 0 0
|>>
|>>to the /etc/fstab
|>>
|>>when I try to mount it asks for a password which it takes the
|>>username
|>>from my login of epenne when I want it to login as ericp.
|>>
|>>where can I pass the credentials file to the mount command?
|>>

|>>I've manually mounted this drive from root using the credentials
|>>file.
|>>The permissions on the drive were for root and user ericp couldn't
|>>write anything to the directories on the mounted drive.
|>>
|>>What options do I have to pass the username and password to smbmount
|>>through /etc/fstab?
|>>
|>>Eric

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart