[olug] Hacking Linux Exposed or Real World Linux Security?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Jan 7 14:39:21 UTC 2003

hrmmm...
They did do that once or twice with the SANS UG here in omaha.
http://www.synaxis.org/around/sansug/

but not lately... our UNO ACM group 'might' be able to set something like
that up in the future.  I know my information assurance professor at UNO,
Dr. Burnham, would like to see something like that... he was trying to get
ahold of some of the 'game engine' software that they use for the capture
the flag (CTF) contest at the Defcon conferences.  (looks like a stock
market ticker, and if youre gettn attacked successfully... your stock
value goes down)

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:09:08 -0600
David Walker <linux_user at grax.com> wrote:

|I have Hacking Linux Exposed and I like it pretty well
|I've been wanting to set up a hacking contest where I get to be defender
but
|it seems like a lot of work and I have a lot of paying work to do.
|
|On Tuesday 07 January 2003 12:54 am, Daniel Pfile wrote:
|> I got a borders gift card for christmas, and since I haven't bought any
|> linux books in years (between man pages, google, and source code I
|> haven't needed any) so I figured I'd pick one of these up. After
|> reading the /. review, I'm wondering if anybody out there has read
|> them. I'd like some input from a 'experienced' point of view, not
|> really a unix newbie view. I understand basic firewall concepts, IDS,
|> chroot, suid, buffer overflows, checksum audits and on and on and on.
|> I've read many rfcs, and lots of code, but I'd like to know more. To
|> fill out any missing points I guess.
|><snip>

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart