[olug] I'm afraid this is a really dumb question

Irv Cobb irvcobb at huntel.net
Wed Jan 1 21:28:06 UTC 2003

I'm running Mandrake 9 with a small LAN and dial-up internet access.
During the install process, or from the Mandrake Control Center, the
network setup wizard insists on being provided with a gateway. By
hit-or-miss, I have found that the only way I can make the dial-up work
is to put "/dev/modem" as the gateway. Everything works fine, except
that the LAN doesn't work unless the system has dialed up and is on the
'net. I (kind of) understand why it behaves this way, but I don't know
how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Irv