[olug] take this poll

andrew olug at einer.org
Fri Feb 28 15:23:34 UTC 2003

Right,  I was picking nits.

The first sentence is just fluff.  The second statement is the only one
that actually has any bearing within the list.  I've paraphrased the
second statement as "If you are not the intended recipient, then you are
notified that disclosure is prohibited."

I'll call the first half of the statement P and the second half Q.

So, if P -> Q and P is false, then Q can be either true or false and the
whole statement will remain true.  So, if I am the intended recipient
(I'm "not not" the intended recipient), it doesn't matter if Q is true
or false (disclose or don't, it doesn't matter), the whole statement is
true.

In the situation where P is true, statement Q must remain true for the
entire statement to be true.  So, if I'm not the intended recipient (P
is true), I can't disclose the info publicly.  Okay.  I have no problem
with that because I AM the intended recipient.  If I'm not the intended
recipient, and I'm browsing the public website, I'd better shut my eyes
or I'll be forced to become notified that distribution of his e-mail is
prohibited.

So, I posit again that Jeremy's trailer doesn't prevent him from posting
on this list, it just makes his messages longer...

At least, that's how I read it.

Andrew Holm-Hansen