[olug] looking for an application

Jonathan Warren thechunk at cox.net
Fri Feb 28 14:53:34 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:39:58PM -0800, CM Miller wrote:

> What steps do you take to run Cygwin?  I have a W2K
> box and  Linux box, the .exe is on the W2K box and
> what I do I need to setup on the linux box to make
> this happen?

go to www.cygwin.com and download setup.exe
Tell it you want to install from net and choose a mirror all that jazz.
At some point in installer you will get to package selection.  If you want an X servre you need to install Xfree86 and a window manager.  I recomend openbox because it is light weight and runs well under Cygwin.  Also make sure and install ssh.  Once all this is installed you should have been prompted to create icon on desktop.  Double click icon and you should get a bash shell in a dos window.  this is your local machine.  If you want to see the root of any drive the path is /cygdrive/c /cygdrive/d so on and so forth.  To run the X server type startx.  It will probably default to fvwm which is pretty ugly.  if you installed openbox you can create a file called .xinitrc and make openbox the window manager.  You may need to add /usr/X11R6/bin to your path.  I think it is missing after a clean install.  Once you can get an X server and a window manager you like than use ssh to connect to your linux box.  If you have enabled X11 forwarding in ssh you should be able to run X commands and have them run in the cygwin Xfree86 server.  Is that confusing enough?

-Jon