[olug] missing C standard library?

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Fri Feb 28 00:07:43 UTC 2003

At Thu, 27 Feb 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:
> I thought that I tried the dpkg -S option, but perhaps not with the
> quotes.  It seems it only searches through packages that are insatlled....
> I did not have libc6-dev installed, so it apprently would not have
> returned it, kinda defeats my purpose. =)
>
> dpkg -S | --search filename-search-pattern ...
>               Search  for a filename from installed packages. All standard
> shell wild­              chars can be used in the pattern.

Ack, you're right.  My development machine has most packages installed,
so I rarely run into that limitation. ;-)

In that case then, you can actually find the answer at the web site[1]
you referenced in your original e-mail.  If you scroll down to the
bottom, there is a spot on that page where you can 'Search the contents
of packages'[2].  Using that, you can come up with the package name
after browsing through the results.

  [1] http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
  [2] http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents