[olug] Logging

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 20:49:58 UTC 2003

This idea is also being pushed from out quality
control within our department where I work at when it
comes to coding or anything really.

At first, I though it would be too time consuming, but
now that I've read your post and others on here, I
think it is a good idea.

-Chris

--- Dave Hull <dphull at insipid.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003
>
> At my day job, we have a "change control system" in
> place whereby we have to
> submit information about what changes we are going
> to make to production
> machines. These changes are reviewed and approved
> (99% of the time) and are
> kept on record both electronically and on paper
> forever.
>
> It's quite helpful for troubleshooting purposes. Of
> course, there are times
> when a problem comes up over the weekend and changes
> have to be made
> immediately in order to return a machine to
> production. In these cases, we
> make the changes and then file the "sys change"
> after the fact.
>
> I took a different position two and a half years
> ago, switching from system
> administrator to programmer. I inherited a half
> dozen home grown applications,
> all of which were poorly documented (and that's
> giving too much credit).
>
> Since taking this position, I have implemented WebRT
>
> (http://www.bestpractical.com) for my department and
> use it just about
> everyday to document all the work I do. It has been
> an incredible time saver
> when having to deal with problems that occur once or
> twice a year. I search
> the database for information about the problem and
> can have the solution in a
> matter of seconds rather than having to rack my
> brain to remember what was
> done last fiscal year, etc.
>
> --
> Dave Hull
> http://insipid.com
>
> Robustness, adj.:
> 	Never having to say you're sorry.

=====
Winning an argument on the internet is like getting 1st place at the Special Olympics