[olug] Installing software under /usr/local

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Wed Feb 26 22:46:53 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 02:03 pm, Jay Swackhamer wrote:

> If you use the default paths, then if you ever need to uninstall, you
> wont need to think about it, just go to the source directory and do a
> make uninstall      (not all, but most packages)

Personally, I use checkinstall (http://checkinstall.izto.org) when I add
packages to my system.  It runs "make install", then builds (in my
case) an rpm.

The advantage in this is that the package info is kept in the rpm
database, making for a more consistent system, and it can be
uninstalled with "rpm -e", even if there is no make uninstall.  As a
plus, since it creates an rpm (or .deb or whatever Slackware uses), I
don't need to build it on each machine I need to install the package
on.

--
Scott Jones
(scott at exti dot net)