[olug] Installing software under /usr/local

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed Feb 26 20:03:47 UTC 2003

Most software that you would compile from source has an install portion, and
configure options that you can define for the installation directory.

The default is usually /usr/local/ bin, lib, etc,   etc....

If you use the default paths, then if you ever need to uninstall, you wont
need to think about it, just go to the source directory and do a
make uninstall      (not all, but most packages)