[olug] Unix Tip: I SED BLANK

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Tue Feb 25 14:29:14 UTC 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Christopher Cashell wrote:

> The point of this list *is* to help people.  But these tips don't help
> all people.  As you said yourself, they may not help me.  Judging from
> some of the other comments, I'm not the only one.
>
> Whether or not we should have a separate mailing list is debatable.
> Personally, I'd rather have that than our current situation, where I'm
> forced to receive what I consider Spam.  However, I may be in the
> minority here.

I'm probably part of that minority too. I find some of the tips useful, others
are not so useful, but in my opinion that is not the point. I think it's bad
form to subscribe a mailing list to another mailing list. As someone said
before, spam is not about content, it's about consent.

Someone could have sent a message to the list pointing out the Unix Tips
mailing list and tell folks how they can subscribe to it on their own, but to
subscribe the entire list to another list is bad nettiquette. Sure, I can
create a procmail filter to send the messages to /dev/null, but that puts the
burden on me to do something to not receive mail I don't want.

Isn't it better to have to opt-in to receiving something rather than having to
opt-out of receiving it?

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

Contending with insulation:
Isn't it fluffy, friable and itchily agreeable?  What's this 'contend
with insulation' stuff?
-- Steve Nordquist, Re: Linux'izing the home, 11/30/00