[olug] mozilla yet no java?

Robert A. Jacobs r.a.jacobs at cox.net
Mon Feb 24 15:05:44 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 00:38, Brian Wiese wrote:
> I'm stumped.  I followed these directions [1], downloaded and installed
> the j2re from java.sun.com, and created a symbolic link for the java
> library in my mozilla plugins directory, then also tried copying the
> library to my mozilla plugins directory.  Restarting mozilla each time
> still showed no java in the "about: plugins" page.
>
> Has anyone else encountered such a similiar problem?
> The only difference is that my mozilla dir is /usr/lib/ vs. /usr/local/
>
> franklin:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins# ls -l
> total 292
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       272989 Feb 24 00:22
> libjavaplugin_oji.so-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        18596 Dec 26
> 02:08 libnullplugin.s

This is what I wrote in my system logs regarding this issue:

##
##  JULY 28, 2002
##

    After a long fight trying to get the java plugin to work with the
debian mozilla package, I finally gave up and, instead, installed the
mozilla tar ball available from http://www.mozilla.org

    The Mozilla package requires libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2.  Since I do
not have this particular library installed, I made a symlink to
libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so in /usr/lib

        ln -s libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

    This appears to have solved the problem.

    "Installing" the java plugin, then, was as simple as creating a
symlink in /usr/local/bin/mozilla/plugins to the libjavaplugin_oji.so
library in the installed Java SDK.

      ln -s
	/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
        /usr/local/bin/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    I verified that Java plugin support was available in from Mozilla's
"About Plugins" dialog.

Hope that helps...

robert.a.jacobs