[olug] OLUG Member in Omaha World Herald Newspaper

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sun Feb 23 00:43:31 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:38:50 -0800 (PST)
CM Miller <cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com> wrote:

|http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=36&u_sid=658928
|
|BTW, did they make you pose like that for that pic or
|did you do that on your own?

Thanks Chris.  Actually, the photographer set us up in several different
poses around the STEAL.  She was using this wide angle lense and was about
12" away from our faces at times... it was kind of weird at first but
turned out alright.

Just to correct one major misconception presented in the article... there
are no plans to 'link' the STEAL and USSTRATCOM for security testing.  The
STEAL is an air-gapped isolated environment for computer security
education.  I think the reporter just got a little bit too carried away in
trying to make the article so sensational.

I also disproved of the use of the term 'hacker'[1] within the article
because it dwells on the negative media-created connotation of the term.
Also neat to note, Eric Raymond (maintainer of the Jargon File) is now
sending every request to his site (www.tuxedo.org) to other ones.  odd.

... but it's neat to be famous, there went my 15 minutes of fame. =)

[1] http://www.elsewhere.org/jargon/html/entry/hacker.html

peace

Brian Wiese