[olug] Missed it. (Installfest) (fwd)

Jacobs, Robert A. RAJACOBS at northropgrumman.com
Tue Feb 18 18:19:56 UTC 2003

Not sure if you are reading this John but....

	1.  Are you interested in single- or dual-boot i.e. will the machine
	    with Linux on it run just Linux or did you want Linux and The
	    Other OS on it?  Based on the type of development you want to do
	    there really isn't a need for Windows on your system -- in my
	    opinion you'll want to ditch the Windows partition; the biggest
	    barrier to learning Linux is having Windows to run to when
things
	    get tough.  Desktop-linux is a reality; I've been running MS
free
          on my home system for over a year without any complaints.

	2.  What are the specs of the system you want to install Linux on?

	3.  Have you tried installing Mandrake [1] or Knoppix [2]?

	    Mandrake is a Red Hat-like [3] Linux distro (it uses .rpm files
for
	    new software packages) and Knoppix is a Debian-like [4] distro
(it
          packages new applications in .deb files) that is great for "test
          driving".

	    IN MY OPINION, Debian-based distros are usually a little harder
          set up but much easier to maintain (DISCLAIMER:  I am a Debian
user).

	    Mandrake installation is a breeze -- many claim it is easier
than
          installing Windows and/or with Knoppix, you don't even have to
install
          the distro -- you just try it out right from the CD (it resides in

          memory so you gotta have a lot of RAM to run it).  If you like
          Knoppix, there are instructions available [5] for migrating it
from the
	    CD to your hard-drive in under 30 minutes (though, YMMV).

	4.  Once you get a base Linux distro in place, I'm sure we can help
get
	    you set up with the rest.  My recommendation:  jump in with both
feet;
	    you'll be glad you did.

[1] http://www.linuxiso.org
    http://www.mandrake.org
[2] http://www.knoppix.org
    http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44
[3] http://www.redhat.org
[4] http://www.debian.org
[5] http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

===+
| Robert A. Jacobs              | If you think C++ is not overly
complicated,  |
| Senior Developer              | just what is a "protected abstract virtual
|
| Northrop Grumman IT           | base pure virtual private destructor" and
|
| rajacobs at northropgrumman.com  | when was the last time you needed one?
|
| (402) 293-3943                | -- Tom Cargill, C++ Journal, Fall 1990

===+