[olug] Specking out Sun Solaris box(es)

IrishMASMS IrishMASMS at olug.org
Tue Feb 18 01:54:49 UTC 2003

<quote who="Matthew G. Marsh">
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 IrishMASMS at olug.org wrote:
>
>> > IrishMASMS wrote:
<snipped by IrishMASMS>

> Second the Ultra{##} and Ex50 opinion. Definately lean on a SMP for the
> DB - Oracle (as with most DBs) has very good threading performance.
> Under sufficient memory conditions the threading alone will add
> perfomance under multiple connection opeations. FWIW NEbraskaCERT just
> bought an Ultra60 used for $795 USD (dual 300Mhz / 512M / 9G) for the
> new database server for the websites and "other" work.
>
> Since you are govm'NT can you obtain a "donation" of a to be retired
> system? I know there have been a bunch of E250's just pasturized.

Oh, I so wish we could just grab one used. Oh well. Yes, we can get
“donations” from other government or DoD organizations. How else do you
think I have built up our IT infrastructure there? Beg, borrow, and steal;
with a few Klinger or Radar O'Riley deals thrown in....

Who & where do you know of these  E250's???? That organization offering
them to us works much better then us asking for them, due to numerous
political footballs I have run into down at work. Would you _please_ have
them contact us about them?? ASAP?

<snipped by IrishMASMS>

> One of the nice features of Sol8 at least is the software raid is
> actually easy to use and setup - and has held up under some of my
> torture tests (pulling drives out while running into swap...) very well.
> So with a couple of 36G or even 18G drives you can have nice redundancy.
> (personally I mirror everything...)

That was part of my plan, mirror everything and backup to the collection
of 4 mm tape we have.

<snipped by IrishMASMS>

>> <i>”An IT vision without funding is a hallucination.”</i>
>> Comment overheard by counterintelligence IT expert James Shinn, a
>> fellow with the Council on Foreign Relations, at a government IT
>> conference held by the Industry Advisory Council, an organization of
>> IT professionals (as reported in the November 11, 2002 issue of
>> informationweek.com)
>
> Heh - I wonder what the speaker thinks of Linux...

> Matthew G. Marsh,  President
> Paktronix Systems LLC
> 1506 North 59th Street
> Omaha  NE  68104
> Phone: (402) 932-7250
> Email: mgm at midwestlinux.com
> WWW:  http://www.midwestlinux.com

Irish

--
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?