summary -Re: [olug] local ntp time server?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sun Feb 16 22:41:24 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:01:41 -0600
Christopher Cashell <topher at zyp.org> wrote:

|At Thu, 13 Feb 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:
|> I'm running a debian stable version of the package.
|> ii  ntpdate        4.1.0-8        The ntpdate client for setting system
|
|Just a note, if your computer has a constant internet connection, you'll
|get much more reliable time by running ntpd, rather than just ntpdate.

True, but I'd rather not run a daemon listening on my external interface
with an open port number for security reasons.  I plan to run it on my
internal network though, to minimize the number of outbound requests/load
on the servers, from my machines.

peace

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart