summary -Re: [olug] local ntp time server?

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Fri Feb 14 03:01:41 UTC 2003

At Thu, 13 Feb 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:
> I'm running a debian stable version of the package.
> ii  ntpdate        4.1.0-8        The ntpdate client for setting system

Just a note, if your computer has a constant internet connection, you'll
get much more reliable time by running ntpd, rather than just ntpdate.

ntpdate is a one time clock syncronization utility, while ntpd will
continually monitor and upate your clock to match the ntp servers.  ntpd
also tracks statistics such as your clock's drift, in order to more
accurately keep it in sync.

To easily install the NTP daemon, with Debian, 'apt-get install
ntp-simple'. ;-)