[olug] local ntp time server?

neal r neallist at wispair.net
Thu Feb 13 22:44:29 UTC 2003

"Blaufuss, Shane" wrote:

> Well, from a corporate security standpoint you'd want all of your systems to
> reflect the same date/time as your IDS systems, especially if you're
> involving the feds in the event of a break-in or some such.

  Or, for the less paranoid, its handy to read the log and know that each
devices agrees on the time an event happened.

  This is the #1 use for NTP and I'd suggest that if you don't have some *real*
reason to sync with things outside your own network that you just take a feed
from wherever and treat it as master.

  I've yet to see someone have a solid reason for needing more than a 'shared
time' for their network ... anyone got a counter example?