[olug] sed and sh

Jon H. Larsen relayer at omahadirect.net
Tue Feb 4 21:13:13 UTC 2003

I'm currently modifying a script that came with Hylafax where I am
attaching a PDF version of the Tif fax document to an email, and
delivering it.

I created a TEST script to work on the bit of code that I need to truncate
the filename.

#!/bin/sh
#
# trunctest.sh

FILE="$1"
TRUNCFILE=`echo $FILE | /bin/sed -e 's/recvq\///' | /bin/sed -e 's/\.tif//'`

echo $TRUNCFILE

Run it like so:
./trunctest.sh recvq/fax00022.tif

output:
fax00022

Works great.

When I stick the lines in the production faxrcvd script, output is always
blank.

FILE="$1"
TRUNCFILE=`echo $FILE | /bin/sed -e 's/recvq\///' | /bin/sed -e 's/\.tif//'`

$TRUNCFILE is only used in echo statements in the script, and is only
defined once.

I've tried to use some of the PDF scripts provided by another source, but
they didn't work as I had expected them.  This truncate issue is the only
thing holding me back from putting fax receive into production in our
environment (send has been running for a year now).  The script will
deliver a PDF, but I'd rather have a more descriptive filename other than
".PDF" on the attachment. :)

Puzzled...
Jon L.

--
 [ Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer at omahadirect dot net         ]
 [ ICQ#: 10412618 - http://www.animesunday.org/jonl               ]