[olug] ham radio operators can use 802.11b

neal r neallist at wispair.net
Sat Feb 1 15:29:14 UTC 2003

"Daniel G. Linder" wrote:

> Neal wrote:
> >   I just noticed this - ham operators can now use 802.11b as an
> > operating mode.
> > http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/01/10/3/?nc=1
> >
> > Who wants to play?
>
> So, can someone give us "bit-pushing geeks" a breakdown of how the "ARRL 802.11b" spec differs from the more main-stream 802.11b wireless access points that we in the data networking field are familiar with?  Is the ARRL doing nothing more than making the "Coffee Can" antennas official or is there more?  I would love to setup my own 11Mb link between work and home (about 6 miles, no line of sight) so I could lament that the 11Mb wireless link was the bottleneck in my Internet surfing... :)

   Amateur operators are *licensed* and *primary* for portions of the ISM band. That means that when there is interference a ham will try to track it down and resolve it with the interfering station, but the FCC can and will show up and order immediate disconnection of interfering systems. Its somewhat scary for wireless ISPs using that band and I'm sure there will be a few publically visible spats, but mostly I expect the WISP community to get along fairly well - most of them need all of the
RF help they can get.

  If you get your amateur ticket you can start using 802.11b as an operating mode ... the big implication is people will be able to use military grade amps on their systems for very long shots, other than that its a nonevent. If you don't already have some line of site link you want to play with not much has changed.