[olug] RE: [Acm] Knighthood for 'father of the Web'

Tim - DZ iceburn at dangerzone.com
Wed Dec 31 17:30:43 UTC 2003

W3C link http://www.w3.org/2003/12/timbl_knighted

-t

-----Original Message-----
From: acm-bounces at arioch.unomaha.edu [mailto:acm-bounces at arioch.unomaha.edu]
On Behalf Of Brian Wiese
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 11:25 AM
To: acm; olug
Subject: [Acm] Knighthood for 'father of the Web'

Just saw this on news.google.com, very cool...

Knighthood for 'father of the Web'
Berners-Lee believed the Internet should be free for everyone.

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The computer wizard dubbed the "father of the
World Wide Web" is to receive a knighthood for services to the Internet.
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/31/britain.honors.webman/
...of course, "He wrote the program which would later become the Web for
his own private use while working at the European particle physics
laboratory, CERN, near Geneva in 1991."

What I found most interesting, was his hacker spirit... =)

"He studied at the Emanuel School in Wandsworth and went on to read
physics at Queen's College, Oxford, where he was banned from using the
university's computer when he and a friend were caught hacking.

The student's response was to build his own computer, using an old TV set,
a Motorola microprocessor and a soldering iron, all funded by his job in a
sawmill."

now thats just impressive.

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x2FD6AF16    keysvr: pgp.dtype.org