[olug] Slackware with HP(compaq) Smart Array 5i Controller

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Tue Dec 30 01:03:53 UTC 2003

What model is the server itself?

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of
dthacker9 at cox.net
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 3:11 PM
To: olug at olug.org
Subject: [olug] Slackware with HP(compaq) Smart Array 5i Controller

We've just purchased a new email server at work.  I've made a couple of
attempts to install slackware on it, with no success.  The controller is
an HP (compaq?) Smart Array 5i connected to 4-18.2 GB disks.  I've
configured the disks into 4 logical drives at RAID 0.  (I'm going to use
LVM on them.)
I booted Slackware 9.1 from CD, loaded the raid.s kernel and carved the
disks up as follows with fdisk:
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1   /boot   300MB
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2   swap    2GB
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3   /       rest of disk
/dev/cciss/c0d1     /usr    entire disk
/dev/cciss/c0d2     /var/spool/mail entire disk
/dev/cciss/c0d3     /opt    entire disk

I then did a slack install, and set up LILO in the root partition.  (An
earlier attempt to load in the MBR failed)
The system just hangs.   I then loaded from my emergency boot floppy.
It appeared to start up and run through the boot process, but right
before the point where I would get a login prompt I started to get
screenfuls of 6 character strings surrounded by brackets.  The machine
could not recover and had to be rebooted.
My hypothesis is that either a) LILO is hosed or b) I need a special
driver for the SA 5i.  Anybody care to confirm and/or give me some
pointers?

Thanks!
Dave Thacker