[olug] Slackware with HP(compaq) Smart Array 5i Controller

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Mon Dec 29 21:20:02 UTC 2003

I have a bunch of servers here with the Smart Array 5i/532 controllers
and haven't had any problems.  My servers are HP DL380G3s running a mix
of RH7.3 and RHAS 2.1.  We are using an HP supplied replacement for the
stock cciss driver.  I can't recall where we got it but the package name
is:

[sltest1:~]# rpm -qa |grep cpq
cpq_cciss_RedHat73-2.4.46-7

I use the Smart Array controller for my boot device also with GRUB as my
bootloader and that works just fine:

[sltest1:~]# mount
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p5 on /test type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

I'd suggest trying to find a better driver than the default one.  I'd
also advocate moving to GRUB.  Once you get used to it, it's much nicer
than LILO :)

-Nick Walter