[olug] Lessons Learned: Using Linux BBC

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Dec 29 18:15:05 UTC 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:36:22 -0600
Irv Cobb <irv2 at gbronline.com> wrote:

|CM Miller wrote:
|
|>Opted for Knoppix 3.3, and had some problems here.
|>The NTFS drive and my thumbdrive were recognized but
|>when it came time to move data, even using the GUI,
|>could not write.  Chmod ugo+rwx on whatever device or
|>directory was setup right, but did not work.
|>
|In Knoppix, you have make a drive writeable. There's an option on the
|KDE right mouse button for that. In some cases you still can't write,
|then sudo konqueror from the konsole will work.

Just to clarify, when you insert your thumbdrive and Knoppix detects it,
it automatically (should) mount it as read-only*.  Then you can right
click on the usb thumb drive's icon on the desktop, and there should be an
option to remount it in read-write mode.

The read-write vs. read-only is not really a permissions thing (chmod) but
a mounting property/option, as specified by the flags set (usually in
/etc/fstab) when the device is mounted.  These can be specified on the
command line as well.

# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb -o rw
(to mount a typical usb thumbdrive of vfat filesystem in readwrite mode)

* Knoppix defaults to read-only mode so that you don't accidentally
erase/overwrite data on your drives, like your hard disks for instance.
The typical mount defaults options are: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser,
and async.

more reference:
grep sda1 /etc/fstab
man mount

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x2FD6AF16    keysvr: pgp.dtype.org