[olug] Hauppauge PVR-250 & PVR-350

Terry Bradshaw angrypuppy at tconl.com
Sat Dec 27 11:11:43 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 01:25, Richard Smith wrote:

> You'd save some money by just getting the 250. The main difference with
> the 350 is to give you hardware decoding. If you have a decent cpu, then
> there's little point in having hardware decoding on the tv card since
> the 250 still gives you hardware encoding. One other thing, I don't
> believe the tvout on the 350 gives you the actual computer desktop, just
> the actual video being played.

This answers my question, and this should have occurred to me before,
but it didn't.

I had guessed that the video output would be all the Hauppauge card
would display, but it hadn't occurred to me that the actual MythTV
interface would never display using these outputs.

I am leaning toward the 250 now... it will definitely save me
money...although I will have to spend more for a video card with TV out.

By the way... if anyone remembers, I had lost out trying to buy that
Antec case from Brian.  I ended up getting a case from Newegg for $18.
It even has a slide out motherboard tray.  It came with no power supply,
but I had one available.

Not near as nice as the Antec, but not too bad looking.  A heavy beast,
however.

I'm still making this a budget machine so far.

Terry