[olug] Hauppauge PVR-250 & PVR-350

K.J. Kirwan kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 27 07:27:44 UTC 2003

Would this help?
Hauppauge offers a product comparison table at:
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm
which lists these differences between the
                  WinTV-PVR-250 and the WinTV-PVR-350:
    Model Number:           980                   990
     Sugg. Price:          $149                  $199
MPEG-2 Decoding:      software              hardware (w/ TV out)
                                             (S-video & composite)
FM Radio Stereo:            no                   yes

Let us know if anyone has more info on these cards.
Maybe also other similar cards for PVR use?

BTW, the January 2004 issue of _Linux Journal_ has a
cover line: "Build a personal video recorder".
The article (3 pgs.), "Personal Video Recorder Basics"
by Christian A. Herzog (p.30), contains this comment:

"I opted for a Hauppauge Nexus-s.  It's probably the
most expensive card, but it doesn't suffer from the
overheating problems older models experienced, plus it
has a good tuner and comes with an infrared remote and
receiver."

I found the author's "Nexus-s" card at the bottom of the
same table page mentioned above.  It turns out that it is
a satellite TV card for Europe and Asia.  (And the author
installs and uses software I have never heard of.)

If any PVR experts read the LJ article and have any comments
about how the Europe/Asia satellite card (and software?) affect
the relative relavency of the rest of the article for American
readers, please let us know.

(If anyone has info on the "overheating problems" of
older (& other?) models alleged by the author, please
post and let us all know about that too.)

(BTW, is the MythTV software able to use the FM radio (in the
PVR-350 above) to record radio shows like "Paul Harvey", etc.?)

Those of us on the OLUG list who, like me, have neither a
TiVo nor a PVR/VDR, are probably at least looking at sites
like mythtv.org and freevo.org, reading articles like the
one above, and watching your MythTV box project.

Please keep us posted, won't you?

K.J.